Choose a healthy, attractive and environmentally friendly tooth filling option at New England Dental Group
Traditional amalgam fillings have been found to be unsightly, ineffective and unhealthy
Comprised of an alloy containing 50% mercury, these traditional dark grey fillings have been found to present a range of disadvantages when compared to the contemporary filling materials we use in our Armidale dental practice.
The disadvantages of traditional amalgam fillings
- Some health experts believe that mercury vapour is released into the mouth when chewing, which is thought to be a risk to your overall health
- The high mercury content in amalgam is an environmental hazard, and has been banned in environmentally conscious countries such as Sweden and Norway
- Amalgam expands and contracts in response to temperature changes within the mouth, and can cause your natural tooth to split and crack
- Amalgam fillings are simply packed into the void caused by decay and do not form a complete seal. This means that decay can still continue to develop beneath the filling
- This type of filling material is dark grey and does not blend with the natural shade or texture of your natural tooth enamel. These fillings can even stain your natural tooth structure
At New England Dental Group located in Armidale, our tooth coloured filling material is a healthy, durable, attractive and environmentally friendly filling option
Our contemporary filling material is completely free from mercury, and can be colour matched to the exact shade and texture of your natural tooth enamel. This type of filling material does not expand or contract in response to temperature changes within the mouth, and forms a complete seal protecting your damaged tooth from decay.
If you are worried about your existing amalgam fillings, it may be worth thinking about replacing these with our contemporary filling material.