Our priority is providing you with quality dental care, to help you preserve your teeth now and in the future.
Prevention is always better than the cure, so at New England Dental Group we recommend finding the time to visit us for regular check-ups and a clean every six months. These check-ups provide us with the ability to detect any potential problems quickly and efficiently. In the long run, this saves you in toothaches and money on restorative procedures.
Our dental check-up examinations include:
- Oral cancer screening
- Oral x-rays
- Teeth cleaning
- Topical fluoride treatment
- Periodontal (gum) assessment
- Oral hygiene instruction
- Sports mouthguards (if required)
- Night guards (if required)
- Dietary advice
- Fissure sealants
- Fresh breath management
Why are regular check-ups important?
Regular dental check-ups are important as they help keep your teeth and gums healthy. During your check-up your dentist will assess your overall oral health and expose any “problem areas”, recommending the most effective way to tackle these issues before moving on to the clean and scale. The clean and scale will remove any plaque and tartar build up that has occurred. The dental check-up should include an examination of your gums, tongue and throat.
Check-ups are the first step to finding out why you may be experiencing tooth sensitivity, or detecting oral cancer, or discovering why you suffer from a dry mouth or bad breath. Many people avoid booking a check-up or consultation due to embarrassment. At New England Dental Group here in Armidale, we aim to provide a relaxing, safe environment for our patients to enter so you can feel at ease.
What should you do between visits?
For optimal oral health, you can’t leave cleaning to your dentist alone. Maintenance is required between your dental visits. Plaque is constantly forming on your teeth; every time you consume food or drink you add to the build-up.
To combat and keep plaque under control, it is recommended you:
- Brush your teeth twice a day – for best results use a toothpaste that contains fluoride
- Floss at least once a day (preferably at night, or after lunch)
- Use a mouthwash after brushing to help get rid of plaque, this also aids breath freshness.
Most common dental issues
Five of the more common oral health issues which can be pinpointed during your check-up include:
- Cavities: occurring when plaque combines with the sugars and starches in foods we eat. These acidic substances are produced and attack the tooth enamel. To avoid, consume healthy foods and drinks like milk and water.
- Gum disease: Infection in the gums surrounding the teeth – gum disease is the main cause of tooth loss among adults. Gingivitis can be addressed with minimal intervention, however, advanced gum disease may require surgery. Did you know gum disease has been linked to heart attacks and strokes?
- Mouth sores: Canker sores, fever blisters, cold sores, ulcers and thrush are not only annoying but may be an indication of a more serious medical issue. You should contact your health care provider promptly with any concerns.
- Oral cancer: Quite serious and can be deadly. This disease affects millions of people. Every year hundreds of thousands of new oral cancer patients are diagnosed. Most oral cancers tend to spread quite rapidly.
Dental check-ups with New England Dental Group Armidale
Preventative oral check-ups are simple yet comprehensive appointments to ensure your smile stays healthy for years to come. Contact us to book your next visit.